Sunday, August 11, 2019

Melvin, IA: Grain Elevator with a 750,000 bu bin

(Satellite, the 750,000 bu bin was added after this image was taken.)

Fred Year posted, cropped
A new 750,000 bushel steel bin dwarfs the older installations of the Farmers Co-op Society Elevator in Melvin, Iowa on August 1, 2019.

Fred Year posted
An inside view of a new 750,000 bushel grain bin at the Farmers Society Coop elevator in Melvin, Iowa. Photo by my son, James Year.Wendall G. Hoffman No grain saver?
Fred Year Wendall G. Hoffman this bin is still under construction at this point.
Wendall G. Hoffman Fred Year gotcha. I worked at a shuttle loader, the grain savers had a tendency to break away, so I wondered if they had a new design.
[So now I have the question: what is a grain saver? I gather these bins have become so tall that they have to do something to break the grain's fall when they are loading an almost empty bin.]

No comments:

Post a Comment