Sunday, June 20, 2021

Fort Benton, MT: Grain Elevators

(Satellite)

The railroad was Great Northern. It is now BNSF. I can't determine if the elevator still uses rail service.

Bob Kisken posted
Fort Benton Mt
[Bob guesses that this photo is probably 30 years old.]

Jerry Krug commented on Bob's post
Here's a shot of the Fort Benton elevators taken on May 24, 2018 from the elevation to the northeast.

Dennis DeBruler commented on Bob's post
I see the small grain elevator on the northwest side of the elevator row was still standing in July 2008. A satellite image shows this elevator has been removed.
(Normally, I would include the Google Maps' URL for this street view, but Facebook has been deleting my comments that include a URL as spam.)

Dennis DeBruler commented on Bob's post
A Facebook span experiment.

I noticed in Jerry's photo that there were three long wooden storage buildings. So I tried to get some more views of them.
Street View

A satellite image shows the arrangement of the three long buildings. I also noted that the leg for the small elevator on the southeast side of the elevator row is in a wood building. It is interesting that there are big wood buildings instead of some concrete silos.
Satellite

I zoomed out to show that fertilizer is also a big business.
Satellite

The building on the left in Bob's photo was gone by Jul 2008.
Street View, Jul 2008

This sternwheeler has strayed rather far from the Missouri River.
Street View





No comments:

Post a Comment