Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Chicago, IL: Campbell Soup Company

(Satellite, California on the west side, 35th along the south and tracks on the east side)

A history and six images

Jeff Templin posted
The Campbell’s soup building near I-55 and California. My dad was a bricklayer. He helped build this.
[I moved to the western suburbs in 1973, and I remember seeing this plant from I-55.]
Michael Anglemire The complex of buildings ran from east of California to Maplewood along 35th.
Tyrone Davis I worked there till it closed 1988.
Pat JF The new plant is in Tennessee . Lower Wages.!
Larry Coleman They have another plant in Ohio too.I've loaded there several times.
Dennis DeBruler Larry Coleman The one in Napolean?
https://www.google.com/.../data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4...
Phil Labagnara Delivered flour there 400 100# bags on the floor pick one up put it on the pallet all by myself.
Ron Alaska Phil Labagnara
I remember those days. Just about everything was a floor load. Nowadays it’s all palletized.
Phil Labagnara I was young & at the bottom of the list got every flour load then they started slip sheeting them unloaded in about an hour and had the rest of y day to myself.
[I don't know what "slip sheeting" is.]

Micahael Koveski posted
Campbell Soup Factory on 35th St
Thom Techman View from the Stevenson Expressway.
Tyrone Davis I worked there from the early 80s till the doors was closed in 1988 fun memories
Maria Clavijo Phil Labagnara it actually burned down it was a horrible fire the embers fell all the way to the nursing home on 27th and California...
Maria Clavijo Waldolf Ursine the Campbells soup building burned down to the ground in 1997.

Dale Roger posted
Do you remember seeing this iconic can towering above a huge soup processing plant in Chicago?  This Campbell's Soup plant was their largest producer of tomato soup and cream of mushroom soup.
It was an experiment in vertical manufacturing, where the tomatoes or mushrooms in this case were taken by elevator to the top floor processed then sent to the next floor for cooling, next floor for canning and labeling. Next floor for boxing and stacking on pallets. Next floor for dock loading to send to retail or to warehouse. The sanitation and purity of the process was part of the result of the vertical manufacturing. The top floors were kept secured away from the open doors of the loading and receiving docks. I remember truck loads of tomatoes ambling down I55 piled high with red ripe tomatoes destined for Campbell's soup. The buildings are long gone. But I still look to the south as I drive past and remember the big Campbell's soup can in the sky.
Clyde Cleinmark: Their mushroom farm was in West Chicago.
Larry Shackley: They grew a lot of mushrooms out in West Chicago back in the day. Students at the nearby Academy had to deal with the overwhelming smell.
Ed Budzyn: Thank you for sharing! What year was the photo taken?
Dale Roger
Author


1938 Aerial Photo from ILHAP

1953 Englewood Quadrangle @ 1:24,000
I also got the 1963 map to add I-57. It appears that Campbell did some extensive changes to their buildings.
1963 Englewood Quadrangle @ 1:24,000

Chuck Roth posted
Brighton Park back in the 90s
Ed caught the plant while the fire-protection water tower tank was still painted like a soup can.
Edward Kwiatkowski shared (Flickr option)
A westbound Amtrak passenger train, passes through Brighton Junction on a sunny but cold and windy winter day.Chicago Illinois. January 1988. (View facing north.)
Brandon McShane HEP-equipped Heritage coach in the years before the Horizon cars.
Dennis DeBruler Thanks for including the direction you were facing. I was thinking the Campbell Soup plant was south of this junction. You fixed a "brain burp" in my head. I always like seeing photos that have that "soup can" water tower in the background.

The plant was gone by August, 1997.
Ray Weart posted
At one time I worked a regular job on the Wisconsin Central in Chicago pulling #45's train out of CSXT Barr Yard. And nearly every day I'd see IC train GLME (Glenn Yard-Memphis) cross in front of us at Brighton Park. In August 1997 GLME is slowly heading north on the GM&O on her way to Memphis. GLME would get to the IC mainline at Bridgeport for the trip south. And keep in mind that Brighton Park was non-interlocked which meant the operator could signal two trains across the diamond at the same time. Even if your move "Had the blade" you still had to make a positive stop. Which allowed cool photos like this to be taken.

Andrew Urbanski posted five photos with the comment: "Looking for photos in and around the Chicago Campbells Soup factory, the photos posted I found on Google. Thank you!"
David Hersrud: The gate entrance was at 35 and rockwell.
Christopher Allen Howe: I think a couple of those are Doug Davidson photos.
1

2

3

4

5
[Brighton Park]






No comments:

Post a Comment