Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Wickliffe, KY: Fort Jefferson Hill Park and Memorial Cross

(Satellite)

Seldom is my first photo out of the van one of the better ones. I'm on the walkway that goes down to the overlook of the Mississippi River. The river was high when I was here. I hope to take a comparable photo later when the river is at a normal level.
20200219 1387
 The Mississippi River from the overview turning from downstream to upstream.

Note the water beyond the normal river bank.

This tow didn't move while I was there, so it was parked.

Someone cuts the vegetation so that "nature" doesn't block the view. I've been to more than one overlook that had become worthless because trees and undergrowth had grown and blocked the view.

Now I have moved over by the cross. This view is to the north of the memorial. It appears to be a tow fleeting area.

I got an elevation shot of an upstream cantilever bridge. Looking at a map, this would be US-51/60/62 over the Ohio River.

The cross is 90' tall and visible from all three states in the tri-state area: Kentucky, Missouri and Illinois.

Around the base are granite bricks with inscribed names that were sold for $100 each as a fund raiser. Because the cost of construction doubled during the fund-raising phase, they added a walkway and a wall of additional memorial bricks.


The left and right side of a sign:


And another sign:

If you save the sign images, you should be able to zoom and pan them with your favorite photo editor.

The United Steelworkers Local 680 has installed a couple monuments by the parking lot.


I took one more photo looking upstream as I was leaving.

I'm glad I took it because it is the type of photo where the more I look at it, the more I see.

Not only were a lot of tows tied up at the bank, the river was beyond the bank.

The CN/IC bridge has at least six truss spans.

Some active tows in the river and the Bunge soybean oil plant


No comments:

Post a Comment