Saturday, January 30, 2021

Fort Wayne, IN: Magnavox Buildings

(Street View, heavily remodeled by Philips Dodge; 3D Satellite)

Donald Brockhaus posted
Donald Brockhaus This was on S. Coliseum Blvd. (a.k.a. Bueter Rd.), just South of New Haven Ave. To the South of this building was Zollners and then IH. And to the East of this building was the IH Scout plant.
Darrell Botts Actually Bob, Magnavox moved out of Plant 1 in the early 80's , not the 90's. I started there in 1979 at plant 1 and was there less than 3 years before we moved out to Industial Park off of Lima Rd (The Tech Center) and the EW1 lab was one of the last to move because a pipe broke at the Tech Center and they had to redo our lab before we could move in :)
Dennis DeBruler Thanks for the location information. I had a summer job there in 1969, but I could not remember where this building was. I did programming for the defense part of the company. One of the first things they explained to me was that there were parts of the building I should never go into. At the end of the summer, they asked me to come back the next summer. But in the Spring of 1970 they informed me that they did not have a summer job for me because of the recession.

Bob Zimmerman Sequence of name changes:
The Magnavox Company (Commercial & Govt)
1974: N.V.Philips buys Magnavox Co.
Magnavox for commercial
Magnavox Government & Industrial Electronics Company (Govt aka MAGIEC)
1994: N.V. Philips sells MAGIEC to Carlyle
Magnavox Systems Company
Magnavox Electronic Systems Company
1996 Carlyle sells to Hughes Company
named Hughes Defense Communications
1998 Hughes merges with Raytheon
Raytheon Electronics Company
current name: Raytheon Co.

Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana also posted this photo

Allen County News shared a post
Greg Starr I worked there until they moved Consumer Products to 14 and 69.

Tommy Lee Fitzwater posted
1960's Magnavox Fort Wayne plant,

Wil Babcock posted
My sister worked for Maganox as a secretary in the R&D department. In the 50’s they made this HiFi radio, record player for her to be given to our father as a gift. Being built to order it was unique. I grew up with it and played my first Beatle album on it. I had it for years and in 2015 I donated to the Magnavox Museum. I tried to donate locally but could not get any movement.


Starting at 11:20, this video talks about Magnavox. They had several firsts including the stereophonic record player, the first transistor radio and the first gaming console.



No comments:

Post a Comment