Monday, January 18, 2021

Waterville, OH: TLE&W/NKP/Cloverleaf Depot

(Satellite, it is under the tree canopy)

While looking for this depot on a satellite map, I noticed a long truss bridge and a dilapidated concrete arch bridge. I was irritated with myself that I did not know about this depot and those bridges when a daughter was still living in Perrysburg, OH. She now lives in Athens, OH. So I was thinking of taking a circuitous route the next time I visit her and stop in this town. But when I researched the truss bridge, I learned it was torn down in 2020!

Jim Etchie posted
Cloverleaf Depot in Waterville , Ohio. ..as it currently looks now
Bill Shaffer: The grade crossing at St. Rt. 295 was removed about 10 days ago [Dec 2020]. Rails were pulled and it's paved now. The gates were removed and the red signals turned 90°. I imagine the cross bucks will be removed as well before too long.

Street View

Until recently, this depot sold tickets for the tourist operation Toledo, Lake Erie & Western (TLE&W). That would explain why it is so well preserved with a train order signal and a freight door. I recognize this tourist railroad as the one that used to use the Cloverleaf bridge across the Maumee River.

Jim commented on his post
Back when the Bluebird was running ...this is where you purchased your ticket and boarded the train to go to Grand Rapids Ohio...

Jim commented on his post



No comments:

Post a Comment