Sunday, January 31, 2021

Red Wing, MN: ADM Flax and Canola Processing Facility

(Satellite)

This photo caught my eye because it shows the old bridge before the new one obstructed its view. But then I noticed that the grain elevator supported some sort of processing plant.
Tom Brown posted, cropped
A rare visit by American Queen and American Duchess at Red Wing.

I saved this satellite excerpt because it shows that they use barges as well as rail for transport. I think they use the hopper unloader to transload to barges as well as to supply the plant. Note the red industrial locomotive parked southwest of the unloading building. I wonder if it is a Whitcomb locomotive.
Satellite

This grain processing plant looked different than the ones I normally see. So I dug deeper. I determined that this plant processes flax and canola. [ADM (flax is a source of omega-3 fatty acids)] That would explain the small cut of hopper cars. Unlike corn and soybeans, the volume of those crops probably does not justify unit trains.
Street View

Ted Peterson, Jul 2019



No comments:

Post a Comment