Thursday, February 11, 2021

Franklin, OH: Four Modes of Transportation


Charlie Easton posted
This is a very old photo taken near my home town of Franklin, OH. The track would be, I believe, Big 4. Next to it is interurban track. Next is a road and then a canal.
I just thought the juxtaposition was neat. Sorry it's not better but it's well over 100 years old.
Jim Thompson: It is the Miami Erie Canal. Just south of there about 5 miles are the Excello Locks.
Charlie Easton: My father tells of taking sacks of grain to market. After the feed store weighed them they would take them to the bridge over the canal and drop them into the canal boat. This would be about 2 miles north of what I believe this spot to be. The canal in Franklin was filled in and became Canal Street as I was told. The old Big Four tracks, only a siding in my lifetime were right next to canal Street there.

Dennis DeBruler commented on Charlie's post
Actually, I think the order from left to right is the Cincinnati, Dayton & Toledo Electric, road, canal and Big Four. Note that we can see a passenger train on the right up on the bluff. One reason I concluded that this is the order is that the canal was always between the CD&T and Big Four in the area of Franklin. I think the photo was in this stretch but that Riviera Drive had been moved from south of the Big Four to between the canal and the CD&T.
1908 Miamisburg Quadrangle @ 1:62,500

Dennis DeBruler commented on Charlie's post
OH-73 now uses the RoWs of the canal and Big Four between Twin Creek and the bend in the Miami River.

No comments:

Post a Comment