Saturday, June 3, 2017

Denholm, PA: PRR Coal Wharf

Daniel Trump posted
Pennsylvania Railroad Denholm Coal Wharf
Main Line Looking Westbound
12 tracks in 1906 
3 tracks on 5/28/2017
I've seen coaling facilities that could serve four tracks, but 12 tracks is unreal.

Mike Froio commented on Daniel's posting
Here is a 1938 Penn Pilot view of Denholm, you can see the loop track that drops southwest then back around to make the top of the wharf. I am guessing that was the side they shoved the loads up, then the short ramp on the opposite side was where they brought the empties down. You can also see the primary supply reservoir for Hawstone which if I am not mistaken, still survives and serves the local community. Another case where the railroad's surplus infrastructure after the demise of steam was sold off to benefit the local residents.
Hawstone had water pans in the tracks to refill the tenders with water.

4 comments:

  1. Any chance you have more picks. I own the land on the river side of the tracks in the picture. I find ruins of building every winter. These pics are helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't have anymore photos. Since I'm from the Midwest, I normally don't note stuff that is in PA. But a facility that can coal 12 tracks was worth noting.

      Delete
  2. There was a near twin to this in Thorndale PA, built 1906.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in Denholm. My great grandfather moved to Denholm to work there when it opened. My father is 94 and has lived there his entire life. He remembers the coal wharf well.

    ReplyDelete