Monday, June 19, 2017

Milwaukee, WI: Nidera Grain Elevator and the Salty Fearless

(Update: I have determined that the ship docked at COFCO/Nidera/Continental Grain Elevator.)

Steve Rod posted five photos with the comment: "Milwaukee inbound, grain elevator."

1

2

3, going under the Hoan (I-794) Bridge

4    [It was unloaded in Oshawa and then Detroit [BoatNerd-passage]. It appears they knew the weather was going to be good between Detroit and Milwaukee and they did not bother to add much ballast. I've never seen so much of the bow exposed outside of a drydock. I wonder if part of the prop is sticking out of the water.]

5   [This picture allowed me to confirm it was going to Nidera Grain Elevator. The obsolete grain unloader and the new silos next to the older silos are consistent with the map images.]

More photos: bowstern.

I thought that ships with cranes were general cargo ships that sometimes carry bulk cargo in their holds. But I discovered that Boat Nerd classifies this ship as "Geared Bulker." That means it is a self-unloader, but it uses cranes instead of a conveyor and boom. [MarineInsight] In this case it is four 30t cranes. So scoop-by-scoop unloading is still done by salties. This ship was built in 2001, but there are ships built in 2015 and 2016 that still have cranes instead of the boom unloaders we see on Lakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment