Friday, May 28, 2021

Sheridan, Newmanstown, PA: Lavino Furnace/Berkshire Iron

(Satellite, the iron works was sold for scrap in 1970)

The plant was on the Harrisburg-Reading mainline of the Reading Railway. [Pacific Southwest Railway Museum] The route through this area is now owned by Norfolk Southern.

Abandoned, Old or Interesting Places - Eastern PA posted
Sheridan Furnaces, E.J. Lavino & Co. (Sheridan, Pa.) ca. 1932. View of a furnace built in 1862 by the Berkshire Iron Company. The furnace was converted to anthracite in 1867, and rebuilt at later dates. A second furnace was erected in 1874. Note the name of Lavino Furnace Co. on the locomotive. E.J. Lavino & Co. purchased the plant in 1916.
Andrew Denelsbeck shared

Terry Gockley posted
In this photo of the Sheridan furnace you can see where I lived in the large apartment house very close the the railroad tracks 1940s and 50s.

When E.J. Lavino bought this company, he converted it to manufacture ferromanganese, "which was about 85 percent manganese, 15 percent iron, and 5 percent carbon" [Steamtown]

Newspapers

Newspapers

In case the land gets redeveloped.
Satellite

I ended up with a tradeoff between smoke obscuring the mill and resolution, so I got three aerial photos. Since I got them, I include them.
Apr 24, 1951 @ 24,000; AR1OY0000020088

Nov 20, 1959 @ 60,000; ARB593500600423

Apr 12, 1969 @ 24,000; AR1VCFE00020179

No comments:

Post a Comment