Thursday, May 5, 2022

Dresden, Pisek, Auburn, Nash, near Valley City, ND: Wood Grain Elevators

(See below for satellite information)

I'm surprised how many big wooden grain elevators are still left in North Dakota. I don't want to spam the blog, but I consider this an important aspect of our industrial history. So I'm doing multiple towns in one post. I continue to be amazed as to what our ancestors could build with wood.

Dresden

Rand Swenson posted

Satellite


Pisek

Rand Swenson posted
Pisek ND 9-18-21

Satellite

Auburn

Rand Swenson posted
Auburn ND 9-19-21

Satellite

Nash

Rand Swenson posted
Nash ND 9-18-21

Satellite

Dennis DeBruler commented on Rand's Nash post
There were a lot of tank cars parked in this town in the satellite image so I researched the railroad. It was the Great Northern.
1963 Nash Quadrangle @ 1:24,000

North of Valley City

Rand Swenson posted

Dennis DeBruler commented on Rand's Valley City post
While trying to find this elevator, I noticed that North Valley City had a couple of old ones in Sep 2012 along the CP/SOO line. I never did find this elevator. Then I noticed that this photo is five years old.
Rand Swenson
Author
Dennis DeBruler Go north of Valley City on the road that take you to the lake and Dam.It is north of the dam several miles on the west side of the road, It was still standing last year.
Dennis DeBruler
Rand Swenson With a clump of trees and a round bin, it should be easy to identify on a satellite image. I followed roads North until I was even with Sharon. But I could not find it. It makes me appreciate that you found it and took photos of it.





















1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful composite of past/present grain elevators.

    ReplyDelete