Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Berne, IN: GR&I Bridge over the Wabash River

(Street View)
Ken Draus posted
South bound on the GR&I in 1971 with F-7's Just crossing the Wabash River near Berne Indiana. Remains of the bridge are still intact. This is my favorite segment of The GR&I between Decatur, and Portland, Indiana. US-27 runs adjacent to the line here, and we used to travel it often going to visit my uncle in Portland in the 70's.

I normally put bridges in the main blog, but I put this picture in this blog because I keep track of abandoned branches such as the GR&I in this blog. When I looked at the street view, I was surprised how skinny the truss members were. The weight restriction of this bridge must have been a significant limitation in 1971. That could be why they were still running cab units rather than more modern road engines for freight.

I'm used to the Wabash River on the west side of Indiana, which is wide. The skinny river here made me curious as to where the headwaters of the Wabash is. Google traces it back to basically a farmer's drainage ditch. I didn't find water under a bridge until T-72.

2 comments:

  1. Dennis - thanks for posting. If you don't mind my asking, where did you find that above photo? I'm President of a trail group that just rehabbed those bridges south of Berne and put a walking trail in. It would be great to get a high quality scan/copy if possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the caption indicates, I got it from a five year old Facebook post by Ken Draus:
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/479183075476001/permalink/1632010466859917/
      You would have to contact Ken for further information. And maybe add a comment to his post about the trail. Do you have a web site about the trail? If so, please reply with the URL so that I can update my notes. Thanks.

      Delete