Saturday, August 19, 2017

East Chicago, IN: Marktown (Youngstown) Company Town

(Satellite)
MikeDosen posted
This is my favorite photo of Marktown, a historic neighborhood in East Chicago, IN which is celebrating it's 100th Anniversary this weekend. This photo shows how Marktown, which was a company town built by and for, Mark Manufacturing, which later became Youngstown, is completely surrounded by heavy industry. Steel mills to it's south & east, and BP Oil Refinery to it's north & west. East Chicago also has another company town - Sunnyside, which was built by Inland Steel. BTW, this isn't a photo I took.
I first spotted this "island" of housing when I was looking for a safe place to park so that I could walk down Dickey Road to the bridge and take a picture of the railroad bridges to the Northeast over the Indiana Harbor Canal.


No comments:

Post a Comment