Sunday, December 15, 2019

Williamson C: Crab Orchard, IL: Amax's Delta Coal Mine and B-E 3270

(see satellite images below)

Richard Kathy Hefley Smith posted
Thanks for accepting me , I helped erect Shovels , Wheels and Draglines sense 1965 , erected a few and maintained a couple. My fav. Was the BE 3270 in the picture at the AMAX Delta mine . Got to admit, I loved repairing these giants , a problem every shift ! (Couldn’t punch washers all day for a living!Ha! Ha!)
 
William Oldani commented on Richard's post
Welcome on Board!
[A comparison of the 3270 with the B-E 4250W, Big Muskie.]

Justin Curless posted
Amax Coal Mine Company (Delta Mine) Crab Orchard illinois Bucyrus-Erie 1450 Dragline after it Slid down in the pit photo Complments of (Pek Boyett)
[A photo of 1450W in better days.]

Gary Downen posted two photos with the comment: "BE 3270 dragline at the Amax Delta Mine east of Marion, IL. billed as one of the biggest draglines ever built, if I remember the bucket held 170 yards. The bottom photo is a pic of the bucket to show it's size."
1

2

Satellite

Directory

Herrin Coal Williamson Map

Herrin Coal Saline Map

Springfield Coal Williamson Map
For Springfield Coal, the directory has "Saline 9S 4K 33," but that section is in Williamsson County.


Other Coals Williamson Map
[I can't find an index, but I presume this is 702.]
I could find only "grey" 702's. I could not find a black 702, which would have been the tipple. And why doesn't this land tattoo show up on the ISGS maps? It has obviously been strip mined by somebody.
Satellite






No comments:

Post a Comment