Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Springfield, MO: Full Gasometer

Posting of the older Frisco depot.
Richard Crabtree -> BNSF Springfield Division
Richard's comment:
This is why I love researching history. I have never seen this before it was really like stepping back in time. It is 1911 and The Woodruff Building on St Louis Street in Springfield Mo just opened. This is the view west from the building. I would click on options and download to see it better.
On the Right just pass the Cook with Gas tank is the Frisco Station (gone) - to the left of that we see Frisco Frieght Depot (gone) - and then to the left again the Missouri Pacific Station (still there) - Behind all of that we see the South Yards and Shops - I have only seen postcards of these buildings, so I was quite happy to find this. I will try to chop up the picture and post a few of the sections in the comments
Photo - private collection
Photo - private collection — at Frisco Depot.
Richard considers the constant pressure tank to be just a landmark. But I consider it significant because it is the first time I remember seeing one full. So I'm saving this for when I get around to writing an article on coal/manufactured gas. He included three higher-resolution pictures as comments to the above posting.
"Frisco Station - before the 1920's remodel - now gone"
Frisco Freight Depot (gone) & MoPac Station (still there)
Note the wooden coaling tower in the middle of the picture.
Frisco South Shop and Yards - Yard remains buildings gone
Facebook Resolution

2 comments:

  1. The title is Springfield IL. Should be "MO".

    Great site! (and the Industrial History one).

    ReplyDelete