Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Hamilton C: McLeansboro, IL: Aban/Consol Wheeler Creek/Inland Steel #2 Coal Mine and Grain Elevator

 (Satellite)

David Cantrell posted
Inland Steel, Wheeler Creek Mine in 1980's.
--McLeansboro Times Leader
Bobby Lee Silliman I was underground there many times and man did they ever have issues keeping the roof up down there. Bad top had me on edge more in this mine than any other mine I was ever in. I have been in several hundred underground coal mines throughout the country. Wheeler Creek... not my favorite mine . Good people there, for sure!
Dennis DeBruler commented on David's post
This answers the question that has been on my mind for a few years now: Where was the mine whose storage silos were repurposed as grain bins?
https://www.google.com/.../data=!3m8!1e2!3m6...

I see Bunge is also reusing the loop track that connects to EVWR/L&N.
https://www.google.com/.../data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4...



Directory


Map

Kenneth Diez posted six photos with the comment: "Inland Steel Coal Mine #2, I believe 1986 or 7."
1

2

3

4

5

6

Debra Mikalauskas posted
Inland Steel Mine #2
McLeansboro, IL
Hamilton County 
I was a "green hat" trainee in 1981.
The wash houses here were old style.  They had the baskets that hoisted to the ceiling, instead of lockers for your belongings. 
#2 was deep for Illinois.  Their metallurgical coal was sent to their steel company in East Chicago,  Indiana.

Andy Valdez posted three photos with the comment: "More from Inland Steel #2. At the dinner table is Linzie Richardson from Belle Rive, My dad Victor, and the guy on the far right I have never been able to identify. In the mantrip is my dad Victor, Randall Shively from Wayne City, and Robert Peas. The guy in the last picture I have never been able to identify."
Deanna Bryant: My Grandma always spoke highly of her time working with Linzie Richardson.
1

2

3


No comments:

Post a Comment