Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Enfield, IL: Consolidated Grain and Barge Grain Elevator

(Satellite)

Jim Pearson Photography posted
This week’s Saturday Infrared photo is of Consolidated Grain and Barge 9202, as they load grain cars at Enfield, Illinois on May 22nd, 2023. From what I can find online this is probably a GP8 locomotive, ex-CMGN, RCO, but don’t quote me on that. I’m not really a power guy, but more of a visual one. I’m always hesitant to say what the power in my photos because there’s so many variations of locomotives. If you have any inputs or thoughts, please feel free to add them to the comments!
Tech Info: Fuji XT-1, RAW, Converted to 720nm B&W IR, Nikon 10-24mm @14mm, f/5, 1/250, ISO 200.

When I saw that a USGS map labeled the east/west rail as CSX, I dug deeper because I expected that line to now be the Evansville & Western Railroad (EVWR). I was right because that route was the L&N. And the spur for the grain elevator is a remnant of a B&O line.
1944 Enfield Quad @ 62,500

 I found their locomotive parked on the siding.  I also saw that the B&O remnant is now a small yard. As Jim indicated, CGB loads their own hoppers. But they don't have to fill a complete unit train. EVWR is willing to take cuts of hoppers from multiple grain elevators along their route and consolidate them into a unit train for delivery to CSX in Howell Yard in Evansville, IN.
Satellite

I confirmed that the B&O line is the abandoned route that used to go from the Ohio River to Springfield, IL.
DavidRumsey





No comments:

Post a Comment