Friday, October 4, 2024

Beecher City, IL: Abandoned/B&O Depot

(Satellite)

Jacob Hortenstine posted
B&O depot Beecher City Illinois {Effingham county museum photo}
Richard Fiedler: Guess about 1900-05?
Wooden train order signal pole.
Roger G. Perkins: I believe the 2nd man from the left is Arthur Franklin Tate who was the second agent at this depot. He was working in St. Louis, MO in 1900 and by 1904, he was in Beecher City. This is based on the fact his eldest son was born in Beecher City in 1904. The Tate home was about 1/2 block from the depot. This view is looking northward; the home is east of the depot. The first agent, Henry Lyman Beecher, was already living in Ohio in the early 1900s.
Bill Edrington: Note that the signboard lists the distances to Beardstown ("B") and Shawneetown ("S"). Great picture.
Gary Sams: Sorry guys I posted it in the Clover Leaf. Looks to be exact photo. Mine says 11-06-1909 B&O Depot Beecher City, Illinois originally posted by me 12-08-2015
Roger G. Perkins: My grandfather purchased the general store in 1932 and when my parents married in 1938, they lived with Grandpa above the grocery store. It became my home as well when I was born in 1939. Thus I grew up across the street from this depot. Have had creosote and cinders in my blood from very early on.
Henry Lyman Beecher served as the first depot agent in Beecher City from the beginning in the early 1870s; his uncle Charles Beecher, an attorney, promoted the building of the railroad. As far as I can determine, Frank Tate was the next agent. Mr. Tate started shortly after 1900; his eldest son was born in Beecher City in 1904. Mr. Tate continued as agent through the 1930s based on the US Census records and was transferred to Edinburg, IL as the agent by 1940. I have no records concerning who the last agent was. The depot was either razed on moved and a shed open on the track side was build on the location.
The village of Beecher City, IL is named to honor Charles Beecher. The main street is Charles Street which can be seen cross the tracks.
Richard Fiedler shared
Steven Hooker shared

Roger G. Perkins commented on Jacob's post
A copy of this post card is my computer wall paper. I am from Beecher City, IL and remember this depot. This is a photo of me standing on the street behind the depot early 1940s. The scan of the post card I have is post marked 1908 on the back side. I am friends with the grandson of Frank Tate who was the B&O agent there, and we believe Frank is the second man from the left. I have made several enquiries about who the other men are with no success. There was a general store across the street from the depot; it was Hancock Store in the 1908 time frame. I suspect others shown my be Hancock and Jennings men.

Roger G. Perkins commented on Jacob's post

1945/45 St. Elmo Quad @ 62,500

1939 Aerial Photo from ILHAP

No comments:

Post a Comment