Depot: (
Satellite, the depot has been turned.)
Gothic Mill: (
Satellite)
.jpg) |
Raymond Storey posted BELLEVUE MI THE GTW [According to the aerial photos, the tower was on the east end of the depot.] |
Durand Union Station-Michigan Railroad History Museum
posted two photos with the comment:
Today’s featured depot is the Grand Trunk station in Bellevue 🚂
Bellevue, located in Eaton County, was settled in 1833. Bellevue was the first town founded in the county, and was the original Eaton County seat until Charlotte was founded. It sat along the GTW’s mainline.
The depot had a unique architectural feature - a distinguished watch tower built right on top.
Bellevue was once home to a cement factory, as well as a limestone quarry and Gothic Mill - the latter two are still in existence. The railroad proved to be vital to these businesses for shipping materials and goods.
This depot no longer exists; however, a newer depot, without the watch tower, still stands. The station was most recently a coffee shop, but the business has since closed. We are wondering what is next for this historic depot?
 |
| 1 |
 |
| 2 |
The topo doesn't help because there are a few squares that are parallel to the tracks.
 |
| 1961/62 Bellevue Quad @ 24,000 |
I got two aerials since the higher-res aerial was newer. To my surprise, the lower-res, 1946, photo was better because of the shadows.
When I went to check if the grain elevator that I see on the aerials in the northeast quadrant of Williams Street and the tracks still existed, I didn't think so because I didn't see any silos or bins. Then I realized that the grain elevator from 1946 still exists!
The most recent post above taught me about the Gothic Mill.
The other side of the mill had a door at each level and a pulley at the top so that they could deliver material to any of the floors.
They preserved some of the lineshafts and pulleys, but none of the belts.
These were the wicket gates that controlled the flow of water into the turbine.
Now, the shaft is driven by an electric motor.
The machine in the left foreground is a serious air compressor. I don't know what the machine behind the air compressor does.
No comments:
Post a Comment