Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Dunkirk, IN: Museum/Pennsy (Panhandle) Depot & Freight House and Glass Plant

Depot: (Satellite)
Freight: (Satellite, I could not find it.)
Plant: (Satellite)

Street View, Oct 2024

The museum has a lot of sports stuff.
Photo, Oct 2025

4 of 7 photos posted by Mark Teer with the comment: "Dunkirk Indiana’s restored passenger station and freight station."
a

b

c

d

Ardagh Dunkirk Glass Plant


While looking for the freight house, I found this plant. Anything today that still has a smokestack is worth noting.
Street View, Oct 2024

The plant makes glass bottles.
ArdaghGroup_locations

ArdaghGroup_design

I wonder if these bottles in the museum were made locally.
Photo, Oct 2025

Dunkirk is between Hartford City and Redkey on this Pennsy Panhandle map.
Brian A Morgan posted via Dennis DeBruler

Much of  Panhandle has been abandoned, but NS kept the track to Dunkirk.
National Rail Network Map

I'm sure the glass plant is why the route to Dunkirk has been maintained. I wonder what the hoppers hold. I'm guessing sand.
Satellite

This is the second time in two days that I have found a "smokestack industry." The second was the paper mill in Grand Rapids, MN.

No comments:

Post a Comment