Saturday, August 1, 2026

New Effington, SD: Wood Grain Elevator

(Satellite)

Street View, Sep 2025

Street View, Sep 2025
=
Street View, Sep 2025

The railroad was the SOO Line.
1953/58 Milbank Quad @ 250,000

CPKC retains ownership down to Rosholt because that town has a big grain elevator and an ethanol plant. This map has some mistakes. First of all, the shortline should not be isolated. When I studied Rosholt, I noticed that the track did not stop west of the town as implied by this map. So now I followed the track west of Rosholt, and it goes to here, which is a little west of Claire City. So a second mistake is that the railroad does not go to Dahlberg and Veblen.
National Rail Network Map

The map identifies the owner of the shortline as SNR. But when I Googled "SNR railroad", the results for that reporting mark was Sierra Northern Railway, which is in California. So I'm calling SNR a third mistake.
National Rail Network Map

I noticed a crane parked west of town.
Satellite

When I checked it out with a street view, I found some more MoW equipment. So they must be providing rail service to the towns along the route or they would not be maintaining the tracks.
Street View, Sep 2025

No comments:

Post a Comment