Saturday, August 8, 2026

Sierra Blanca, TX: Museum/Southern Pacific Depot

(Satellite)

Street View, May 2021

Raul Puente posted five photos with the comment: "The old Railroad Depot at Sierra Blanca, TX. For the last 30 years I have been driving through this town every summer in my way to Laredo. I finally stopped this last Friday to check out the town. The railroad Depot is now a museum and is located across the street from an old lodge. Very cool."
Thomas Dorman: Southern Pacific No. 3 type depot, built 1883. Sierra Blanca was the site of completion of America's Second Transcontinental Railroad (Joined Here in. 1881), SP meeting AT&SF, linking Atchison KS to Los Angeles CA, 15 December 1881.
1

2

3

4

5

You don't find a collection of branding irons in a Midwest museum.
peetre, Sep 2016

I could not find the depot by looking at a satellite map. Fortunately, it is now a museum and Google Maps labeled it. When I saw the location, I understood why I could not find it --- it is too far from the tracks. It is far from today's tracks because the Southern Pacific route now joins the Missouri Pacific route east of town, and the SP tracks have been removed in town. Of course, both routes are now owned by UP.
1964/67 Sierra Blanca Quad @ 24,000

No comments:

Post a Comment