Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Dupo, IL: Missouri Pacific Roundhouse


Mike Osuchowski shared St. Louis Transportation Memories's photo
Missouri Pacific roundhouse at Dupo, IL.Mike Osuchowski As a young kid I remember going down Old Route 3, which is the road in the lower right corner parallelling the tracks, on the the way to my Grandmothers in Bismarck, Mo. I don't remember ever seeing the roundhouse because its view was always blocked by cars on the tracks in front of it. What I do remember is the tracks ran and ran and ran - I now know the yard is over two miles long. Even more what I remember is there was an ice house near the north end of the tracks with a conveyor belt taking big blocks of ice down a long row of cars to ice them down.
1940 Aerial Photo from ILHAP
The bridge carrying the hump yard over the road still exists. Most of this land is now container storage and a Union Pacific office with a yard tower. As expected, the roundhouse was easy to find on an old aerial photo. In fact, that is when I noticed the bridge for the hump yard. But I could not find the ice house and platform that Mike described.
safe_image for Flickr

2 comments:

  1. Was this a public road past the roundhouse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered that Google Maps labels the road to the North as State St Carondelet Ave. and Dyroff Ave. I'm not from that area, but from a satellite image I would guess it is public.

      Delete