Monday, September 28, 2026

Vienna, IL: Forman Depot Tourism Center and Old Standard Gas Station

Museum: (Satellite, in March, 2016 it was not a diner, it was a visitor center)
Gas Station: (Satellite)

I don't know where this building came from, but it is not the town's Big Four Depot.

20160404 2036

The building's display implies that this was a depot at the junction of two railroads. But this topo map shows that the only railroad in the area was east of here. The real depot for this town was the Big Four Depot.
1966/67 Vienna Quad @ 24,000

Since I visited in 2016, they called the town the Bicycling Capital of Illinois, Home of the Big Bike.
Someplace I saw "the hundred mile race on the Tunnel Hill Trail," but now I can't find that information. So I Googled it.
It seems to be running instead of biking. The races in 2026 are on Nov 14. [RunSummitLine]
Jon Lorenz, May 2022

The bushes around the bike have been removed.
R̷A̷C̷H̷I̷D̷.̷T̷, Nov 2024

Since the above photos were taken, the big sign has been taken down. I wonder why.
Street View, Apr 2025

Old Standard Gas Station


Street View, Apr 2025

James Leighton posted
Vienna Illinois

Some photos I took of the museum in 2016















No comments:

Post a Comment