Sunday, November 22, 2020

Princeton, WV: ArcelorMittal Coal Mine

(Satellite and Satellite is my current guess. They are rather secretive as to where the mine is located.)

On a post about Bethlehem Steel's coal mine in Marianna, PA, someone asked if ArcelorMittal, who bought the company, ISG, who bought the assets of the bankrupt Bethlehem, if they still have any active coal mines. James Torgeson answered "yes" and provided this link

ArcelorMittal

This is one of the USA assets being bought by Cleveland-Cliffs.
DeBruler

"ArcelorMittal took ownership of the Princeton mine on January 1, 2009. It is a 12,000 square foot facility with an annual production capacity of five million tons. Princeton primarily serves coke facilities, steel mills and utility markets." It employees 659 people and has 120,000 acres. [ArcelorMittal]

Google Maps and the web site offer this address for their location. But that is just a small office building! But then I found this sentence in their fact sheet reproduced at the bottom of these notes: "ArcelorMittal Princeton is a major employer in the Welch area of West Virginia and operates both surface and underground coal mining activities." There are a lot of "land scars" (tattoos, "brown spots") in that area. Welch is along the left side of this extract. I include Bluefield in the lower-right corner because I recognize it as an important railroad town that still has a coaling tower.
Satellite

I presume it is this mine because it is close to Welch, and it does not have much of a slurry pond. But I could not find the coal preparation plant that is shown in that fact sheet.
Satellite

This TransmissionHub source indicated that they had mines near Eckman, WV.
TransmissionHub

I think this is the Eckman mine.
Satellite

Zooming in, I did find a preparation plant.
Satellite


Because I don't know if C-C will maintain the web site of A-M, I copied most of their fact sheet.
Fact Sheet, p1






No comments:

Post a Comment