Thursday, July 15, 2021

Lisle, IL: CB&Q Depots and Caboose

Preserved Depot: (3D Satellite)
Current Metra Station: (Satellite)
Depot's Original Location: (Satellite)

John Govi posted two photos with the comment: "I took these two pics December 13, 1964 when I lived in Lisle. The station had a stucco exterior, and the building between tracks 2 and 3 was wooden. I always considered both of these structures classic in design, and very typical of the CB&Q. I do remember that when you were in the platform building and a freight passed through, it was an adventure as it shook like it was going to cave."
1

2

Two of the photos Marty Bernard posted.
a
2 and 3. Unknown Depot, Duane Hall photo, September 1992.

[EDIT] Joe Novak commeted:
"Old CB&Q depot, Lisle, IL. Moved not too far from where it sat originally. Now part of the Lisle Park District historical society. The move was in 1978."

SURPRISE, I was the Temporary Agent substituting for the vacationing regular Agent at that depot one College summer (1964). Here is what it looked like then https://flic.kr/p/24azeg3

b
2 and 3. Unknown Depot, Duane Hall photo, September 1992.
Chris Goepel: Not sure where this is, but it looks very much like a CB&Q depot.
Joe Novak: Old CB&Q depot, Lisle, IL. Moved not too far from where it sat originally. Now part of the Lisle Park District historical society. The move was in 1978.

When I looked at my own photo, I noticed the bay window (agent's office) is not between the freight and passenger rooms. Given Chris' comment above, I wonder if this was typical for CB&Q depots.
20210430 3623


The bay window seems to be gone in 1964.
Marty Bernard Flickr

CB&Q 9976 Served 3 Railroads -- 4 Photos

CB&Q E8A 9976 E8A was built in September 1953, rebuilt May 1976 as BN E9AM 9906 with HEP, retired July 1992 and found a new home with MARC (Maryland Area Regional Commuter) as 92.

 

In Lisle, IL on April 4, 1964. Note the depot was on the outbound side and the shelter on the inbound side had a stove for heat. The depot has been renovated and moved to a nearby park. Metra has totally redone this scene.

 

During the summer of 1965 I was the agent at this depot substituting for the on-vacation regular agent. The only task was to sell tickets for the Dinkys. The depot had no adding machine. This was before credit cards, so I handled quite a bit of cash each day. After I moved on to the next job of substituting for a vacationing agent or operator or leverman, I received notice that the agency was short $5 and some odd cents. I was not surprised since I had to add long columns of numbers each day to keep the books and had to make change for customers. And that amount was subtracted from my next check.


The historical location on the north side of the tracks surprised me because when I moved to Lisle in 1973 I remember an old white building on the south side of the tracks.
David R. Chittenden

David R. Chittenden

Across a parking lot from the preserved depot is the current Metra station.

Dennis DeBruler posted eleven photos with the comment:
A CB&Q Waycar on display in a heritage park in Lisle, IL.
41°47'58.2"N 88°04'14.3"W
41.799487, -88.070636
(Facebook has been deleting most of my comments that contain a Google Maps URL. It declares them a violation of Community Standards. But you can still use Google Maps if you copy&paste the GPS coordinates into the search field.)
License: Creative Commons Attribution: Dennis DeBruler (CC BY)
1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11





1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I posted a couple of waymarks for this site a few years back: https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3NAF and https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/wm4GRX_CBQ_Waycar_14584_Lisle_Station_Park_Lisle_IL

    ReplyDelete