Thursday, July 22, 2021

Mayflies

In case you thought I forgot that "Nature" was in the title of this blog.

I knew that cicadas can emerge in such large numbers that they can be a real nuisance. I didn't realize that mayflies could hatch in such large numbers that they can also be a nuisance. I know they live less than a day.

Brian Klawitter commented on Brandon's post
L&D 3 in 1999....seems like they're thinning out a bit.
Brandon Phillips: they claim their presence is a sign of a health river system.

Brandon Phillips posted four photos with the comment: "You know the mayfly hatch was bad last night when there is a mayfly slick on Lake Pepin."
Angel Binner: There has been at least 5+ hatches.
Vanessa Williams: They sure make a mess on the windshield and decks.
Ynot A Schulte: That’s alot of fish food better there than on the boat. We was at 19 fixin to make crew change had the boat all souged up the day before they was knee deep on top of wheelhouse that morning we was on a fire hose from daylight till the new crew showed up that was a crew change I’ll always remember.
Ynot A Schulte: It hadn’t happened this year but Hardin bridge has had to be cleaned off with snow plows before. [I couldn't find a Hardin Bridge that made sense for a Mississippi Towboats Group.]
1

2

3

4

Brandon Phillips commented on his post
last night [July 20, 2021] up by pine bend
[I presume that we are looking at the output of his radar and that the two bright vertical green lines are the river's banks. And the "green smear" between them is a bunch of mayflies in flight. The only "pine bend" I found on the map would not have towboats in the vicinity. So I'm confused as to where this was located.]


No comments:

Post a Comment