Friday, October 22, 2021

Esmond, IL: CGW Depot and Grain Elevator

(Satellite)

Marty Bernard posted
1. CGW F3A 103-A built October 1947, at Esmond, IL, December 1964. Rick Burn photo
Marty Bernard shared

Marty Bernard posted
Yes Rick Burn and I climbed up on a boxcar that snowy day. I showed you Rick's slide a few days ago. Here is mine.About 70 miles west of, and headed for Chicago, it was snowing in earnest during Christmas break from College, Dec. 28, 1964 at Esmond, IL. The lead unit was CGW F3A 103A, built Oct. 1947.
Andy Graham: Nice photo! I never laid eyes on a CGW train but I heard them all the time until 1968..I was 10 years old.
Dennis DeBruler shared

It was south of the tracks and west of Esmond Road.
1978 Fairdale Quadrangle @ 1:24,000

Street View
Dennis DeBruler commented on his share
It was snowing hard. Otherwise we would be able to see a wood and/or concrete grain elevator in the background. It was just a couple of hundred feet away.
42°01'56.4"N 88°56'04.4"W

This is another town in which the grain elevator has not only survived the railroad's abandonment, it has become rather large. 
Satellite

At first, I had a hard time finding the dump pit on a satellite image. Then I realized it was inside the concrete elevator. These street views confirm the dump pit is in the elevator. I guess the probe and scale is in there as well.
Street View

Street View

Marty Bernard posted
2. CGW agency station at Esmond, Illinois on the Chicago, District on April 6, 1963.
[Photo by Roger Puta.]






No comments:

Post a Comment