Friday, October 15, 2021

Fort Madison, IA: Santa Fe and CB&Q Depots, CB&Q Freight House and Santa Fe Roundhouse

(Satellite)

Martin Sheridan posted
Santa Fe steam powered passenger train leaving Fort Madison for Chicago. I think this photo came from the NLCHS. Looks like 1930s.
John Bird shared

The depot in the center of Martin's post was owned by Santa Fe and the depot on the right was CB&Q. I think the building just beyond the CB&Q depot was their freight house. Note the caboose parked by the CB&Q depot. To my amazement, both depots are still standing but Amtrak uses a relatively new shack down in the railyard.
 
Raymond Storey posted
Raymond Storey posted
FORT MADISON IOWA
Mike Bartels: Burlington depot in the background.
Robert Chitwood: You can see the original wooden depot to the left.

Street View, Aug 2012

It appears the caboose has been repainted between 2012 and 2018, which is good because it was demonstrating that Santa Fe red fades to pink. I've seen that "pink" color on some of their locomotives.
Street View, Apr 2018

Street View

Is this what they had to choose from for their static display?
Keith Hoy posted
RAILROADING. M
Dennis DeBruler shared
I wish I knew where these were. I used to see a Santa Fe caboose on BNSF locals in Joliet and further south as a shoving platform.
Brian K. Munson: From my 42 years in the business once you take spray paint and put a line through the number on any equipment, it’s ready for the torch.
Dan Pulsford: Ft Madison, IA; 15 years ago.
 
Josh Clark posted
To the dismay of most, I’ve got to say that I’m a diehard for ATSF history and operations. I knew it was a must to go for the Warbonnet dash 9 duo on BNSF’s West Quincy-Wever local freight. This job is best shot under clouds due to the northbound run in the PM. However, the weather said different today. I decided to go wide with my flying camera, and I’m glad I did. In the shot is downtown Fort Madison, CB&Q depot, ATSF depot, and a nicely restored ATSF caboose. 
What turned into a 550 mile day trip was all worth it, I’ve always been told to shoot what you can before it’s gone!

The interior of the Santa Fe depot. There are also some exterior and interior shots of the caboose on Google Maps. The exterior shots are also red instead of pink. And the interior shots look quite authentic, ripped upholstery and all.
Hugo Hackenbush, Oct 2018

Given this topo map...
1964 Niota and Fort Madison Quadrangles @ 1:24,000

...I looked for the foundation of the roundhouse. I did find evidence of a roundhouse and turntable. I marked the turntable. But the roundhouse foundation is north of the turntable whereas it was south of the turntable on the topo map. So I'm confused.
Satellite

Then I remembered that the Illinois aerial photo collection includes a set of photos taken along the Mississippi River. In this photo excerpt, North would be approximately to the right. The topo map above shows what was left of the roundhouse in 1964. The north part must have been removed first because they did not get rid of the foundation as well as they did for the south part.
1927 Aerial Photo from ILHAP


No comments:

Post a Comment