Saturday, October 30, 2021

Marengo, IA: 1978 Wood Grain Elevator

(Satellite)

Street View

Street View

I was going to pass on yet another wood grain elevator in Iowa until I read the comments and learned that this is a rather modern elevator. I did not realize that wood elevators were built as recently as the 1980s.
Wesley Peters posted
Marengo Elevator Co. Built 1978, Jacobsen Construction Co.
Photographed on 9/24/2021.
Photo courtesy of Wesley Peters.
Comments on Wesley's post

Jan Mormandale commented on Wesley's post
Marengo SK... had to post this 'doppleganger' here and I'll post it at the top of the group pool but here first. Taken 2010 08

When looking at the satellite image I noticed this elevator across the street from the main elevator. With all of the small bins I wondered if it was specialty grains or a feed mill.
Satellite

So I used the street view to see if I could find a feed truck. I did, so I think it is a feed mill.
I think the building that has a spout coming from the leg contains the grinder and mixer. But that is not consistent with loading trucks in the building on the other side of the elevator. So I'm confused.
Street View

No comments:

Post a Comment