Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Sherbrooke, QB: Kruger Energy and Paper Products

Paper: (3D Satellite)
Biomass Energy: (3D Satellite)
Hydro Energy: (3D Satellite)

The power plant was a cogen plant. I say "was" because Karen below says that the paper mill shutdown in 2020.
Feb 20, 2022: Karen Arbour posted
Kruger energy, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada. Biomass fired plant, bubbling fluidized bed (BFB) boiler, operating steam pressure 1250 psi and 26 MW turbine. It was a cogeneration plant until the paper mill was shut down in 2020.
Robert Swanson: What is biomass? Did they burn wood when the paper plant was there? I've only known them to burn burn coal.
Karen Arbour: Recycled wood, wastewater sludge, old corrugated cardboard, crushed railway sleepers and powdered tires.
Robert Swanson: Karen Arbour I think they could burn a lot more garbage a catalyst should take care of the harmful emissions. Homer City is now one of the cleanest plants in the United States after they built scrubbers. They had almost a billion dollars in pollution control.
[It looks like Robert researched his own question.]
Robert Swanson: Is it still operating?
Karen Arbour: Robert Swanson Yes. Power generating only.

In this view we can see the conveyor belt that carried wood waste from the paper mill to the power plant and the steam pipe that carried steam from the power plant to the paper mill. I also included the various storage piles because they are shades of brown rather than black like coal or petcoke.
3D Satellite

kruger-powerplants, click Energy Catagories and select Biomass
23mw
[Note that their 42 production sites generate a total of 542mw. That is less than one unit in a modern coal-fired power plant.]

kruger-powerplants, Select Energy Categories:Hydro and Country:Canada
9.9mw

I had noticed buildings and a dam on the river. I suspect mills started on this site with water power.
3D Satellite

Did they shutdown an old plant in 2020 that needed steam and the new tissue product plants that they are building don't need steam? I found the following news releases. The plant is in the Brompton borough of Sherbrooke, which is where this existing plant is located.
I wonder how much wood waste is generated when making tissue paper.


Karen's carreer is also interesting.
Karen Arbour posted
Sorry for the poor quality. This is me at the beginning of my career removing bottom ash by hand. I did this 3 years.
Last time I did that was in 2011. Now I operate a fluidized bed. It cleans itself.
Travis Dixon: Pulled many a ton in my time. The fun ones were when u swung the door open and got a nice bottom fire coke suntan.
Kenneth Culver: Welcome to the club. Worst job in a PP except blowing condenser tubes.
Robert Groves: Kenneth Culver Naw.... washing boiler seals..washing the inside of the pulverizers, washing the back pass..ugh..
[Some other bad jobs were mentioned in the comments.]

Karen Arbour posted
After almost 20 years as field operator, finally got my 1st class. Now I’m the first and the only female chief shift engineer. Perfect career achievement.

Karen Arbour posted
My  « office » at 3:10 am. 210 000 lbs of steam per hour at 1400 psi and 24 MW turbine output.
Quiet and enjoyable night!

Karen Arbour posted
I work in a paper mill and it was our control room in the old boiler house before they built the cogen. Some elements are still functional as a backup.
Gary Zihmer: Computer console looks a little familiar, Honeywell DCS?
Karen Arbour: Gary Zihmer Exactly!
David Mohre Jr.: I work at a new NPP and we still have analog backup controls for safety systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment