Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Chemung, IL: DuLong Grain Elevators and C&NW Depot

West: (Satellite
East: (Satellite)
Old Filling Station: (Satellite)

John Tobin posted two photos with the comment: "Today in Chemung, IL 4-2-2023, staged waiting to leave."
Dennis DeBruler: Judging from a satellite image, that elevator can handle just a small cut of hoppers. I'm surprised that UP is willing to serve it.
[I reversed the order because I wanted the elevator in the first photo.]
2

1

John commented on Dennis' comment
The line from Harvard to the elevator is a short line and actually the siding is very long....100 cars maybe?
What really caught my eye, was that this is the first time I saw UP power that far up towards the grain elevator.
It is the dead end of a once busy line from Harvard to S. Beloit Wi.
Dennis DeBruler: John Tobin The track being owned by a shortline is key. So the UP locomotives just delivered the train. They will leave and the switcher will handle the loading of the train.
John Tobin: Dennis DeBruler yes.....

John commented on Dennis' comment
[The reporting mark is TDCX. That could be a company that leases the locomotive. According to the 2005 SPV Map, the former-C&NW track west of Harvard is CCUO, Chicago - Chemung Railroad]

While looking for this elevator, I discovered that DuLong has another one the other side of town.
Satellite

The 2005 SPV Map shows the CCUO is a remnant of a route between Rockford, IL, and Kenosha, WI. But when I accessed the oldest large-scale topo map, 1958, I was surprised to see that the segments between Rockford and Caledonia and east of Harvard had already been abandoned. And I now understand why John talked about a branch between Harvard and Beloit. (Update: most of the Rockford-Kenosha route was torn up by 1939. [comments on a post])
1958 Rockford Quad @ 250,000

The segment between Caledonia and Beloit, WI, was a remnant for a C&NW branch between Beloit and Courtland, IL.
1918 Belvidere Quad @ 62,500

I didn't recognize the company DuLong, but I learned that they have quite a few grain elevators in the area.
DeLong

This was a photo for the town. It is obviously a former filling station. 
Sean Flynn, Sep 2021

It appears on a satellite image that the road was moved slightly north when they went from two lanes to four lanes.
Street View, Oct 2022

Larry Foht posted
C&NW Railroad
Depot
Chemung Illinois
Not the best image but it's the only one I've seen
Larry Foht collection :
Steven Hooker shared

Roy Vombrack commented on Larry's post
Larry, I tried lightening it up a little—I hope it’s ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment