Thursday, April 13, 2023

Joliet, IL: NYC/Michigan Central Depot or Freight House

(Satellite, I have doubts about this location. And I think that it may be a freight house instead of a depot)

Bill Molony posted
Wayne Clements: Where was this at Bill?
Bill Molony: I don't have an exact location for this depot.
Stuart B. Slaymaker: Wayne Clements : It was right at the crossing, directly across from U.D. Tower. South East Corner. On the ground level. Depot probably predated the 1912 elevation. I think my really dark shot of the units next to the building, is in Ralph Eisenbrandt's collection.
Wayne Clements: Bill Molony I'm thinking it must have been between MC tower and the Jefferson/ Collins St curve.

Dennis DeBruler commented on Wayne's question
The 1950s car indicates that the tracks have been elevated. So Michigan Central joins the Rock Island at the MC Tower near the middle of this 1952 aerial. The buildings in the lower-left corner are the only buildings I could find along the MC RoW. At first, I saw just the buildings that we see today. But when I investigated the looped road east of those buildings, I saw what may be a building inside that loop. And maybe a boxcar between the building and Washington Street. I wonder if the photo was the freight house instead of the passenger depot.
The bridge in the lower-right where MC crossed Hickory Creek is extant:
(I did some testing and I think this link works without a login.)

Dennis DeBruler commented on Wayne's question
The same aerial photo contains the MC roundhouse that was east of the EJ&E.

Dennis DeBruler commented on Wayne's question
Before elevation, the MC went just north of Washington Street to the downtown area.
1892 Joliet Quad @ 62,600

No comments:

Post a Comment