Saturday, September 9, 2023

Eskdale, WV: C&O Coal Tower, Samples Coal Mine and B-E 2570

Coal Tower: (Satellite)
Coal Mine: (Satellite)

I found this coal tower because Eskdale was listed as the address of the coal mine.
Street View, Nov 2016

Street View, Jun 2023

Satellite

Terry Tolley posted two photos with the comment: "I don’t know if this dragline pit photo has been posted before.  I’m sure that WEO’s photo of the BE 2570 has been on here before.  This was Catenary Coal, Samples Mine, Cabin Creek, WV."
[Some comments indicate it was scrapped.]
Jimmy Derry: This machine originally was built at Captain mine in Southern Illinois I had worked on it many times both places.
Don Perryman: We had a lot of trouble with the generator commutators at Captain. After having outsiders come in and turn the commuters we bought the equipment and started turning them our self. Jim Brand, master electrician got real good at it.
David Hess: I had installed some antennas on that one for communications equipment. I can never forget climbing up, out and around on that awesome machine! I’d have to replace them occasionally from rocks breaking them during putting off a shot. Good times!
1

2

I generally don't include a whole quad, but it is interesting to see how the stripped areas grew.
1965 Eskdale Quad @ 24,000

1976 Eskdale Quad @ 24,000

No comments:

Post a Comment