Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Hydro, OK: 1929 Historic Route 66 Gas Pumps

Historic Gas Station: (Satellite, 677 photos)
Current Gas Station: (Satellite)
Grain Elevator: (Satellite)

Street View, Jun 2023

I've noticed that with other historic Route 66 locations that the proprietor offered motel rooms as well as gas, although these weren't built until 1941. I also included the "prairie skyscraper" (grain elevator) on the right because that is a big one for such as small town.
Street View, Jun 2023

Michael McDaniel, Apr 2023, cropped

Brian Magill, Jun 2023, cropped

These pumps are old, probably the 1960s, but I'm glad they found even older pumps for the restoration.
J. Swoboda, Oct 1999

They recently did extensive restoration of the motel. And they replaced the right-hand red Phillips 66 pump with a white Conoco pump.
Michael Timpson, Dec 2020

Route 66 Road Relics posted
Lucille's Service Station also known as Provine Station is in Hydro, Oklahoma. Lucille was known as the Mother of the Mother Road to Route 66 Travelers who stopped by.
[There is more than one comment claiming it had the coldest beer in the country.]

I was going to just add the posted photo into my Old Gas Pump notes, but then I noticed that even the contemporary gas station has older looking pumps. Note that they have a hose on just one side.  I think the gas inlet used to always be on the driver's side or behind the license plate. I learned when I rented a car that it is now sometimes on the passenger side. And, given the different colors, I presume that a pump provides just one grade of gasoline. I also noticed that the gas is cheaper than I anything that I have seen in the Midwest during the Summer of 2023. That makes sense given the size and proximity of the oil industry in Texas and Oklahoma.
Street View, Jun 2023

The railroad that used to serve this town was the Rock Island.
Street View, Jun 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment