Saturday, July 9, 2022

Walla Walla, WA: Northern Pacific Depot and Grain Elevators

(Satellite)

The remaining routes of the UP and NP in this area are now operated by the Columbia Walla Walla Railroad.

Street View

Street View
\\
Brian Ambrose posted
My niece Katie lives in Walla Walla WA and I am very grateful for that. Otherwise I doubt I would ever see the need to want to go there. But luckily she does so I get to visit at least a couple of times a year and every time I go I am always on the the lookout for something interesting to photograph. Tops on the list is the still standing ex-NP depot. It is now a steakhouse. There is a Quality Inn at the north end of the depot I had always wanted to stay at and this most recent trip I got the chance 7-2-22. It looks like the old NP would have passed under the motel years before it was built. After checking in and walking to my room I saw a number of railroad related paintings on the hallway walls including one of the Toppenish depot I recognized right away. How cool is that?!
Steve Joyner: I believe there is a brewery at the far end of the depot. Is the passenger car still sitting behind the depot?

Brian Ambrose commented on Steve's comment
Passenger car is still there. Still up in the air about the heritage. Some say former NP while others say it isn't. (but not what it is)

The land behind the depot that is now occupied by two motels used to be the NP railyard.
1966 Walla Walla Quad @ 24,000

The grain elevator north of the former railyard caught my eye because it has small bins and big buildings. It turns out it is a seed company. I'm using the label "grainPlant" for this operation.
Satellite

The elevator further west along the former-NP has two large bins and lots of smaller ones. I wonder if it is a feed mill.
Satellite




No comments:

Post a Comment