Sunday, January 15, 2023

Will C: Wilmington, IL: McElvain/Morris Coal Mine

(Satellite, the area of the tipple. The mine was all of the "tattoos" south of here.)

Roger Kujawa posted
Wilmington Will County Illinois Real Photo Coal Mining Postcard
Nicholas S Koba Jr.: Photo is McElvain coal company the Peabody Coal bought in 1956 . 
A Page 634 drag

Dennis DeBruler commented on Nick's comment
Here is the page from the Illinois directory of coal mines that includes all of the strip mines. Would McElvain have another name?

Nicholas S Koba Jr. commented on Dennis' comment
yes the Morris Coal company Morocco mine & the Wilmington Coal company Braidwood Mine .Mine Index 3915 they also had stripmine in Ottawa< ill. called the Echo mine, it was two brothers that own these mines . they are also listed in my book .I sell it for $20 plus $5 mailing, the book is in the second printing and I have sold over 400 copies , I was only have 100 printed my printer told me to have at least 200 made so I had her make 300 to start and now had another 200 made and have about 100 left .sold 15 more in the last 2 weeks .

Dennis commented on Nick's comment
Thanks. The tiple was off of IL-53 near Coal City Road.

1939 Aerial Photo from ILHAP

I'm surprised that I don't see a rail loading facility. The GM&O is just on the other side of IL-53
Digitally Zoomed to photo resolution

No comments:

Post a Comment