Friday, April 8, 2022

Cleveland, OH: Big Four Coal Loading Dock

(Satellite)

(Update: I changed the title from "Unloading" to "Loading" because my convention is that the object of the verb is the freighter instead of the freight cars.)

This photo taught me that the rotating dumper rolls up ramps as it rotates.
Thomas Wentzel posted
ROTARY COAL CAR UNLOADER CLEVELAND OHIO C.1910
B Tupper Upham: Big Four dumper at Irishtown bend?

Thomas Wentzel posted
ROTARY COAL CAR UNLOADER CLEVELAND OHIO C.1910 IS THAT A BRUSH ARC LIGHT HANGING ON THE RIGHT?
Jim Ruff: That is indeed a Brush arc street lamp.

Given the comment about Big Four, I checked that out. I think it was on the east side of the peninsula that is east of Irishtown Bend. I had some doubts because topo maps and aerial photos show that there was a freight house there in the early 1950s. When I noticed the date of 1910, I tried an older topo. That one makes sense. Plus I once saw a map that labeled that area "coal dock." (Of course, now I can't find that map.) That was why I originally had the location of the Erie coal loader here.
Dennis DeBruler commented on Thomas' post
Given the houses in the right background, Big Four makes sense. I can't remember where I saw it, but I've seen the area marked in green on this topo map labelled as a coal dock.
1903 Cleveland Quadrangle @ 1:62,500

This photo has been moved to the NYC Coal Loading Dock







No comments:

Post a Comment