Sunday, March 26, 2023

Chicago, IL: 1920-1980s Victor Gaskets & Oil Seals

(Satellite)

Bob Victor posted two photos with the comment:
VICTOR GASKETS & OIL SEALS, CHICAGO, IL
On the far west side of Chicago, in an area known as the island, my Grandfather and his four Brothers built their 500,000 sq.ft. Plant #1
in 1920 located at 5750 W. Roosevelt Rd.
A Family owned business for 77 years becoming the World's Largest Gasket Manufacturer and O.E.M Company.
Employing many dedicated people full and part time increasing employment during WW II. after other area businesses shutdown.
Fortunately, Victor did not have to retool due to production already in place war demand.
These are the Five Founding Victor Brothers.
Barb Ryder Welk: My father-in-law worked for Victor/Dana for a number of years. This is so interesting. [I haven't heard of Victor. But I have heard of Dana.]
Bob Victor shared with the comment: 
The VICTOR GASKET MANUFACTURING CO.
5850 [actually, 5750] W. ROOSEVELT RD. CHICAGO ILLINOIS.
Cee Marz: I grew up on the Island. I still have a friend living on the 1100 Block of Menard around the corner north of of Roosevelt where the tower was. I remember after they closed, before they knocked it down, friends and I made it up to the roof and up on to the water tower. What a view. It was a goal of every kid in the neighborhood to try and get up there, and only a few ever did when it was still open. I think they usually got caught and arrested. Also - I have a nice scar on my leg after getting stitches from wandering thru the bldg days before it came down. I walked thru a door on the first floor, and the floor wasn't there. I think they ran hydraulic and or air lines in troughs in the concrete floor and I stepped right into one of these holes/troughs. Damn that hurt! That was a noisy place when they ran night shifts back in the day. but that meant business was good.
Robert Harkabus: My Mother worked at a Victor office, it was near the stockyards . Maybe on Iron street ?
Bob Victor: Robert Harkabus 3636 Iron st. Was a brick and morter warehouse building next to the Stock Yards and " bubbly creek". My Grandfather was planet manager for Plant #5 at that location.
My Dad took me there several times and the only thing I remember was the steel sheets of metal on the wooden warehouse floor protecting forklift traffic.
1
The seven story building near the rear of photo is the Oil Seals division.
[This is another example of the industrial architecture that was common in Chicago back then.]

2
Anthony Victor driver, Benjamin Victor passenger seat.
Rear seat (L to R)
Joseph Victor
Paul Victor
John Victor
 
Bob Victor commented on his post

Bob Victor commented on Cee's comment, cropped
Thanks for the interesting memories
Demolition starts 1979.

Bob Victor posted four photos with the comment: "The Family Owned VICTOR GASKET & OIL SEALS MANUFACTURING CO. Located at 5750 W. Roosevelt Rd. Chicago fell victim to the wrecking ball after being sold to Dana Corporation based in Toledo, Ohio in 1982."
Bob Victor: Built in 1920 by the Five Victor Brothers who were self taught Tool & Die Makers who registered over 100 patents to become the largest Gasket Manufacturer in the world.
1

2

3

4
 
Bob Victor commented on his post
Photo taken taken in the 40's after building the 7 story Oil Seals Division at rear of plant. Completing the 500,000 square foot plant #1. ( back when Roosevelt Road was bricks with rail tracks run East to West down middle of street for trolly cars)

I got a topo map to confirm that the plant had rail service. I included Columbus Park because that makes it easy to identify the location on a contemporary satellite map.
1953 Berwyn Quad @ 24,000

In fact, we can still see a land scar where the industrial spur curved to the side of the building.
Satellite

Note the long shadow of the seven story building at todays Filmore Street and Menard Avenue.
1938 Aerial Photo from ILHAP

1 comment:

  1. Found this from a search for Victor Gasket Company after having just seen the photo to which I shared a link below. From a 1960 Presidentail commission on Industrial railroad safety, etc. https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:20432897

    ReplyDelete