Tuesday, March 7, 2023

New York, NY: Brooklyn Navy Yard 322mw Power Plant and Crane

(3D Satellite)

Note the graving dock crane in the lower-left corner. That graving dock is one of three that is used by the GMD Shipyard.
3D Satellite

It still exists.
Bill Vaugh Jr. posted
Brooklyn Navy Yard

powermag
The plant has two units, each of which consists of a 120mw gas turbine, an HRSG (Heat Recovery Steam Generator) and a 40mw steam turbine. The exhaust steam from the turbine is sold. 
[Actually, other sources rate the gas turbine at 121mw.]

The primary fuel is natural gas, but it can also run with distillate fuel oil. [power-technology]
I presume this is the storage tank for the backup fuel oil. I wonder how many days worth that can hold. (I was surprised to find that street view images are not available. Then I confirmed that it is a gated community.)
3D Satellite

The steam is sold to ConEd, the Navy Yard and the Red Hook Water Reclamation Plant. I was surprised that a turbine could burn fuel oil. In fact, I don't think they can because "two distillate oil-fired emergency generators are provided." [Department of Environmental Conservation]

bnycogen
This site claims the capacity is 286mw.

MerwinGroup

When I looked for this plant, I don't remember seeing the four smokestacks in the left background of the above photo. That is because they are gone. But the building still stands. I wonder if the still-standing smokestack is still used.
3D Satellite



No comments:

Post a Comment