Monday, September 27, 2021

Cleveland, OH: W&LE Freight House, Railyard and Depot

Freight House: (Satellite, building is gone, address came from case.)
Railyard: (Satellite)

W&LE = Wheeling & Lake Erie

1953 is my typical year for topo maps in urban areas. But by 1953, NKP had already absorbed the W&LE. Since NKP's mainline also went through Cleveland, I used an older map to verify the W&LE routes. The freight house is marked by the red cross in the lower-right corner of this topo extract. The railyard is the one to the right of the "RIVERSIDE CEMETERY" label on the left side of the extract.
1903 Cleveland Quadrangle @ 1:62,500

While studying the railroad bridge next to the Carter Road Bridge in Cleveland, I found the following label on Google Maps.
Satellite

I soon determined that the label must be a mistake. It was the Erie railroad that was in the vicinity of this building, not the W&LE. So when I came across the correct address of the W&LE freight house (3959 E 93rd St. [case]), I wrote these notes to capture that information.

The caption on this photo caught my attention. Was this 93rd Street Station the main station for Cleveland or just a suburban stop? It is a rather old looking locomotive for a last passenger train.
Michael Schwartz Library, Cleveland State University via collection
Last passenger train at East 93rd Street Station

The Central Viaduct went where I-90 now crosses the valley. [case, ClevelandHistorical, PressBooks] But I can't find a route of the W&LE that went far enough north to go under the Central Viaduct.
Michael Schwartz Library, Cleveland State University via collection
Mainline in Cleveland, looking south under the Central Viaduct. Freight House visible on right.


2 comments:

  1. Dennis, this may help.

    https://www.railsandtrails.com/Maps/Cleveland/CleveMap-100a.jpg

    David Sharp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have added this to my collection of railroad maps.

      Delete