Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Carey, OH: Lost/C&O/HV Coaling Tower

(Satellite, I'm guessing it was north of this fork)

I could not find these coal towers on a 1959 aerial photo. But there were clouds above the spot where I think they might have been.

Christine-John Yontz posted
Carey, OH on an overcast day in fall of 2005, looking South (railroad EB) at the old C&O coaling towers. The mains split here and are the far right and left tracks back in the day. This day I believe one is considered a siding and the other main as the line was single tracked back in the 80's and just south of here and north of Carey it goes to single track. Again, a can never be repeated photo, as these were torn down in 2010 I believe. This little "yard" still exists and is used mostly for stone car staging for the large quarry in Carey. Scan of a photo.
Jon Moore: It appears that the engines are on what's called the Bunk Track.
Christine-John Yontz: That makes sense, a left-over from coal days. Never had to work it when I was in Garrett, so never bothered to learn them LOL.

Thomas Wentzel shared


No comments:

Post a Comment