Saturday, November 6, 2021

Warrick C: Paradise, IN: Peabody (New) Victoria Coal Mine

(Satellite, more info below)

The mine that adjoins on the south side was the Wright Coal Mine.

Museum Of The Coal Industry posted
Peabody Coal Company
Victoria Mine
1956-1968
Local Union # 1016
This mine was located east of highway 261 and the town of Paradise in Boon Township, Warrick County Indiana.
The coal got too deep for the 5561M stripper, and as it was undercutting the highwall, it fell in on the machine. This shut down the mine, which was producing about 1 million tons per year at the time. All the output was shipped by rail to Yankeetown Dock.
Today, the land that Victoria mined is one of the best golf courses in the nation.
Glenn Barnett: My grandfather worked at Victoria mine. He told me they ran into blue mud and the high wall wouldn’t hold. Also told me they just left the shovel and buried it.

There are now two golf courses and a lot of trees. I presume it is the Victoria National Golf Club that is one of the best in the nation.
Satellite

I included the road map view because I find it better shows the long skinny lakes that are the tattoos of strip mining. And I found a third golf course in the area.
Road Map

Update:
Map
Victoria Coal Co., 1954-1968
Coal Seam/Member: Springfield Coal Mbr.

Map Clicked




No comments:

Post a Comment