Thursday, November 11, 2021

Sloan (Buffalo), NY: DL&W East Buffalo Tower

(Satellite, the radio tower is built on the floor of the tower.)

The Erie-Lackawanna merger was very redundant here. The railroads were next to each other. I labeled these notes rrErie even though that was not the 1928 name because it is more meaningful than rrMisc.

Aaron Heverin posted
I've been spending the last few days scanning hundreds of negatives from my collection. A lot of what I have are duplicate negatives made from either original negatives or prints from multiple sources... both private individuals or historical organizations. Unfortunately, with the passage of time and due to my lousy record keeping skills back in the early 90s, I don't remember the exact sources for some of these. Regardless, these images need to be shared so that the history of Buffalo's railroad industry isn't forgotten.
The picture below just shocked me when I saw it. Where was the "East Buffalo" tower??
Tony Gee: Bison yards radio tower sits on the pad of the former tower. [See satellite link at the top of these notes.]

Raymond Storey shared

Dennis DeBruler commented on Raymond's share
It was the little square just east of the triangular pond.
1948 Buffalo NE Quadrangle @ 1:24,000

Aaron Heverin commented on his post
Here's another view I found online.

Ken Kasprzak commented on Aaron's post
The East Buffalo Tower was in Sloan where the City Line Branch split to go east and north to the Black Rock Branch.
I have a track chart of Bison Yard dated 1-1-76 reprinted by WNYRHS. The above East Buffalo tower is not identified on the drawing. However, a West End Yard tower is located behind and to the left of the photographer. BTW, the building in the background is the yard office located at Halsted St.

David J. Monte Verde commented on Aaron's post

David J. Monte Verde commented on Aaron's post

No comments:

Post a Comment