Monday, March 28, 2022

Bomanville, ON: St Marys Cement Plant Loading a Freighter

(Satellite)

An hour after I saw this post a saw a post of a cement freighter being unloaded.

Janey Anderson posted three photos with the comment: "CSL TADOUSAC loading cement at St.Mary's in Bomanville. The loading chute experiences relatively no spillage or dust.  They load in hatches and use ullage to test when she's full. 30 hours to load and then off to Detroit! Thanks Shomari Marble Morgan"
Andrew Russell: Always wondered why the hatches had hatches!
Denise Robichaud: 30 hours to load cement? That's a long time. Wow ! Good thing it is probably powder.
Gary Scott: I have nothing good to say about this cargo did it a few times on this ship, the unloads were terrible.
Paul Ingram: What is vessel ullage? Ullage is the void space in the tank measured from the top of the tank to the upper surface of the fluid. Ullage is measured when the content of a tank is highly viscous and if the tank is filled to the maximum. Sounding pipe is constructed in the tank. i.e. the amount that a container (as a wine bottle or tank) lacks of being full. [I had already found that definition in a Google search. But frankly, I don't really understand it.]
John Harwood: Nobody asked yet...what process/equipment is used to unload the cement powder, since gravity is not in your favour during unloading?
John Harwood
Janey Anderson I found this link on CSL Website…looks specific to CSL Tadoussac…

1

2

3

The rotary kiln needed to make cement.
3D Satellite

The quarry from which they get the limestone.
3D Satellite

On my desktop I see this image that has a freighter at the dock. First of all, the deck is not near as clear as the freighter in the photos above. Secondly, I wanted to get a 3D view of this scene. Since that broke on my desktop a few months ago, I used my laptop to view this scene. But it doesn't have a boat! So I checked with my wife's laptop, and it also doesn't have a boat. This is the first time that I have seen Google Maps be inconsistent.
Satellite

I got curious, so I fired up Google Earth. I could not find the image that the laptops accessed. But I did find some other interesting images. This is an articulated tug and barge.
Google Earth, Apr 2017

An Oct 2016 image also had a tug+barge, but it had some cloud cover so I could not determine if it was the same as the above. Oct 2016 had a freighter that looked like the satellite image. May 2016 was empty, and May 2015 looks like the same tug+barge. Aug 2014, Sep 2007 and Dec 2005 were empty. Aug 2009 had a very poor image, but you could still tell it was a tug+barge.
















No comments:

Post a Comment