Saturday, March 26, 2022

Tuttle, ND: Old Gas Station and Old Grain Elevator

Gas Station: (Satellite)
Grain Elevator: (Satellite)

While looking for the grain elevator, this "signature" photo that Google Maps chose for the town caught my eye. I don't see too many of these really old gas stations. This one is rather fancy because it has a service bay on the side. And it has done at least one upgrade of its gas pumps. The station was probably built during the first half of the twentieth century, but the pump is from the second half. It is on the corner of Main Street and the State Highway (ND-36)
Photo, Mar 2020

I can get a better view of the service bay with street view. I looked for a replacement gas station in this town, but I could not find any. I wonder how far people now have to go to get gas.
Street View

I've been skipping photos of old wood grain elevators because of a time crunch. But the fact that this one is still being used made it worthy of note. And helped me find another old gas station.
Edward Dukek posted
Cody Mack: Good old elevator, built in 1915 and still operated as a coop today. They buy grain, sell grain for feed and seed, fuel, gas, oil, propane, grease, chemicals, mineral, lumber, and I believe some hardware too (nails, screws, bolts, hinges) I live down the road to the east about 20 miles. We take oats seed over every spring to get cleaned. I enjoy going to and doing business with this elevator.
John Harker: ND State Hwy 36 from Pingree to Wilson is a hidden gem of Central North Dakota.
Cody Mack: John Harker I agree. A few towns still have lots going for them, Pettibone and Tuttle being two. Wing still has a movie theater, Woodworth a good size grain elevator and a great cafe, Robinson a good cafe as well.

Street View

I include an overview to show that a full-service Co-op has to store a lot of miscellaneous dry products.
Street View

They would store grain that is harvested in the three big bins that I included in my overview in the top street view. This view catches the auger grain elevator that they would use to fill those bins.
Street View

We can see from the land scars on the east and west sides of the town that the new cluster of small bins was built on the right-of-way of the Northern Pacific Railroad that used to service this town.
Satellite





No comments:

Post a Comment