(
Satellite, 229 photos Military Avenue was Route 66.)
US-66 Overview
There is also a preserved
Route 66 rainbow arch bridge just north of this town.
I used these maps to confirm that Route 66 ran north/south through this town.
 |
| 1947 Joplin and 1954 Tulsa Quads @ 250,000 |
While looking for the
Page 618 dragline in northeastern Cherokee County in Kansas, I came across this photo. That is what caused me to find this Route 66 museum.
 |
Route 66 Information Station posted
A visit to Baxter Springs, Kansas, offers the opportunity to step back in time and experience a beautifully preserved piece of Route 66 history. The building that now serves as the Baxter Springs Visitor Center was originally constructed in 1930 as a Tudor cottage-style service station. That same year, it was purchased by the Phillips Petroleum Company and continued operating as a service station for four decades. In 1970, the building took on a new role as office space. Years later, recognizing its historical significance, the structure was carefully restored to reflect its 1940s appearance. In 2007, it reopened as a visitor center, giving travelers a chance to experience this historic Route 66 landmark once again. Today, the building serves as more than a place to gather information—it is a reminder of the early days of automobile travel and the important role roadside service stations played along the Mother Road. |
 |
Kirby Diller commented on the above post Was there today [Sep 5, 2026]! |
 |
Wolfgang Gerth commented on the above post The best place in Baxter Springs ... |
Fan belts did not last as long back then.
I haven't seen a Phillips 66 gas station in the Midwest in decades. I had assumed they had been bought by someone and no longer exist. But I see there are still a lot of them down here.
But everyone that I looked at had at most four pumps.
And some are no longer Phillips 66.
The other Route 66 town in Kansas is
Galena.
No comments:
Post a Comment