Saturday, December 31, 2022

West Lebanon, IN: Former Wabash Depot, Grain Elevators and Train Wreck

(Satellite)

Jeffrey Bossaer posted five photos with the comment: "Wabash Railroad at West Lebanon, Indiana."
1
Wabash Railroad depot in West Lebanon, Indiana, 1910.
[There is no bay window for the agent's office. But there is a freight side (left) and a passenger side (right).]

2
West Lebanon, Indiana.

3
Depot in West Lebanon, Indiana.

4
Wreck at Redwood near West Lebanon, Indiana.

5
Wabash Railroad wreck at Redwood near West Lebanon, Indiana.
[Given the bridge in the photo, I believe the wreck was here.]

Not only are both grain elevators in the photos gone, there is no grain storage left in this town. (I found that the local farmers can use an ADM facility on the south side of Attica, IN.) However, there is fertilizer supply. There is a lot of fertilizer delivery equipment parked out back.
Satellite

I presume those tall tanks are storing a liquid fertilizer.
Street View, Dec 2016

One of my metrics for judging the prosperity of a small town is looking for filling stations. This is a three pump Phillips 66 town.

I noticed that neither Williamsport nor this town have a grain elevator. So I wondered to where the local farmers haul their grain. I found an ADM facility on the south side of Attica, IN.


No comments:

Post a Comment