Saturday, December 3, 2022

Waukegan, IL: Rynksel Coal Company

(Satellite?, it is long gone. I could not find it on a 1939 aerial photo.)

These retail coal silos help me understand how important anthracite coal was for heating homes until the mid-20th Century. These images also document the state of truck development by the end of the 1920s.

Roger Kujawa posted two images with the comment: "RYNKSEL COAL COMPANY WAUKEGAN ILLINOIS LETTER DATED OCTOBER 5 1929"
Paul Meier: Very common in my youth, then came fuel oil and gas. I live in Kenosha, WI where there were numerous coal dealers with rail service.
Kerry Doyle: The silos/elevators were a common form into the 50’s, then disappeared for reasons Paul Meier cites
1

I presume this was their original facility in Waukegan instead of Janesville.
2


No comments:

Post a Comment